Microsoft, the technological behemoth, has revolutionalized personal computers. From Microsoft Office 1.0 to Microsoft Office 365, it has grown by leaps and bounds. Now, the chances are that you might be using a Windows PC. The latest Windows version comes with an array of applications and services such as Outlook, OneNote, Skype, OneDrive, etc. Now, all of these applications and services are linked to one account. This account is your Microsoft account. In order to use all these fantastic applications and visit the Windows Store, users need to set up a Microsoft account or log in from an existing one.
What is a Microsoft My Account?
Microsoft account is a platform where users can access all of their Microsoft apps, products, services, etc. For example, if you want to use Skype, then you will have to log in using your Microsoft account username and password. Also, if you want to download Microsoft Office setup from office.com/setup, you will be asked log in to your Microsoft account. Various platforms that are linked to Microsoft account are:
- Microsoft Office
- Xbox Live
How to set up a Microsoft Account?
If you do not own any Microsoft account, or wish to discard your old one and start fresh, then you can do it easily. If you have recently purchased any Microsoft Office suite, then you need to have a Microsoft account for downloading the setup. Here is how you can set up a new Microsoft account:
- Open any web browser according to your preference.
- Go to office.com/setup.
- In the Microsoft Office Account page, click on the Sign in option located at the upper right corner.
- Now, you will be directed to the Microsoft Sign on webpage.
- If you are not sure whether you have an account, then enter your email address and click on the Next option located in the bottom right corner.
- If the following message: “This Microsoft account does not exist” comes, then click on the Create One option.
- In the Microsoft Create account webpage, you need to enter a valid email address. You can also enter your phone number, or create a new email ID altogether.
- Click on the blue colored Next button.
- Now, just create your password for the Microsoft account. The password should be secure and more than eight characters in length.
- Hit the Next button at the right corner.
- You will get a security code for verification purposed.
- Go to the inbox and click on the verification email.
- Now, just copy the four digits security code.
- Enter the security code on the Verify email page.
- Click on the Next button.
- After that, to verify that you are a real person, you need to enter the code on the screen.
- Click on the blue Next button.
- You have successfully made your Microsoft account.
Previously, the Microsoft account was named Windows Live ID. If a person has a Windows Live ID account, then they do not need to create another one. They can simply log in with their existing Windows Live ID account. By logging in to their account, they can get access to their data, images, videos, contacts, documents, etc., from any part of the world.
Most people, who use services such as Outlook, OneDrive, Office, or have Skype or Xbox, already have an account on Microsoft. It might not appear that way since users can link their Microsoft user account with any email ID. Apart from Microsoft.com, they can use the following as well: Hotmail, Live, Outlook, and Skype. Moreover, users also have the option to use their Gmail or any other email address for Microsoft account. In case you lose your Microsoft account password, or cannot login, then you can reset your account by going to www.office.com/myaccount.